Articles – Artigos
Definite and Indefinite articles – Artigo Definido e Indefinido
Articles are small words that precede the substantive (a noun).
Definite article: used to indicate that a thing is unique in some way.
- O carro – The car (O / the – refer to a specific car and not to any car)
Indefinite article: used to indicate that a thing is not identified as unique.
- Um carro – A car (Um/ A – refer to any car)
In Portuguese the article must agree in gender and number with the noun, which means that the definite article o, for example, should precede a singular and masculine (as you could see in the first example – “o carro”). Observe the chart below:
|Articles||Definite – singular /pluralThe||Indefinite – singular / pluralA / Some|
- o livro – the book / os livros – the books
- um carro – a car / uns carros – some cars
- a casa – the house / as casas – the houses
- uma menina – a girl / umas meninas – some girls
For more information on that take a look at the lesson about feminine and masculine words.