FUTURE SIMPLE AND COMPOUND – FUTURO SIMPLES E COMPOSTO
To conjugate the future you can use either a simple tense or a compound tense. To form a simple tense you just use one verb – the main verb – and to form a compound tense you must use two verbs – an auxiliary verb and the main verb.
Usually in Brazil people express future using compound tenses. Compound sentences are formed conjugating the auxiliary verb “ir” (to go) in the present followed by the main verb in its infinitive form.
Before seeing and studying compound sentences in the future, let’s see the terminations used for the simple tense. You have already learned that when conjugating regular verbs, you need to preserve the root of the verb in the infinitive form and substitute “ar”, “er” or “ir” for specific terminations, according to the tense you want to get the verb conjugated.
For the future tense, you have to replace ar,er, and ir for the following bold terminations:
Future – Simple tense
|Ele / Ela / Você A gente||amará||comerá||abrirá|
|Eles/ Elas/ Vocês||amarão||comerão||abrirão|
- Eu comerei – I’ll eat.
- Ele comerá – He’ll eat.
- Ela comerá – She’ll eat.
- Você comerá – You’ll eat.
- A gente comerá – We’ll eat.
- Nós comeremos – We’ll eat.
- Eles comerão– They’ll eat.
- Vocês comerão – You’ll eat.
Future – Compound Tense
|Person||Ir conjugated + Amar
|Ir conjugated + Comer
|Ir conjugated + Abrir
|Singular||Eu||vou amar||vou comer||vou abrir|
|Ele / Ela / Você / A gente||vai amar||vai comer||vai abrir|
|Plural||Nós||vamos amar||vamos comer||vamos abrir|
|Eles/ Elas/ Vocês||vão amar||vão comer||vão abrir|
- Eu vou comer – I’m going to eat.
- Ela vai comer – She is going to eat.
- Ele vai comer – He is going to eat.
- Você vai comer – You are going to eat
- A gente vai comer – We are going to eat.
- Nós vamos comer – We are going eat.
- Elas vão comer – They are going to eat.
- Vocês vão comer – You are going to eat.